Kelly Taylor scored five goals, including the game-winner with 1:48 left to play, to lift the Aptos High Mariners girl's water polo team to a 10-9 win over the Christopher High Cougars on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division play on the road.
Kristen Malone added two goals, three assists and five steals for Aptos (12-3, 7-1), which plays Salinas High at Hartnell College on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
GIRL’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Ruiz, Salazar lead ‘Catz again - Watsonville High’s Layla Ruiz and Daniela Salazar once again took first and second place, respectively, at Wednesday afternoon’s Monterey Bay League Pacific division Center Meet at Toro Park in Salinas.
Ruiz finished the 3-mile course in 19 minutes, 43.12 seconds and Salazar trailed her in 20:24.37.
As a team, Watsonville finished second with a score of 61 behind Gilroy High (30).
Pajaro Valley High, paced by Karen Martinez (15th, 25:19.48), Jayleen Solorzano (16th, 25:20.83) and Alexandra Romero (17th, 25:21.69), took third (95) as a team.
Monte Vista Christian’s Sophia Willoughby was fourth overall (21:08.92) and the Mustangs finished fourth (104) as a team.
• NMC moves into 3rd - The North Monterey County High Condors took third in Wednesday’s Monterey Bay League Gabilan division center meet on Wednesday in Castroville.
Faith Mora was the first N.M.C. runner to finish the 2-mile course. Her time of 14 minutes, 16 seconds was good enough for sixth. Daniela Munoz (12th, 14:50), Crystal Baeza (15th, 14:57), Andrea Villegas (22nd, 15:15) and Sarah Delgado (25th, 15:23) also scored for the Condors.
San Benito High won the meet with a score of 47, beating Salinas High by 30 points. N.M.C. had totaled a score of 80.
BOY’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Alvarez leads Watsonville to 2nd - Jesus Alvarez finished third overall and helped the Watsonville High Wildcatz finish second at Wednesday’s Monterey Bay League Pacific division Center Meet at Toro Park in Salinas.
Alvarez completed the 3-mile course in 17 minutes, 39.89 seconds, while Watsonville closed the gap on Gilroy High in the team score, finishing just seven points behind the Mustangs as a team.
Monte Vista Christian finished a distant third (77). David Zhang took sixth overall (18:03.84).
Luis Leonor led Pajaro Valley High, taking 13th (18:51.28).
• Medina takes 6th - Edgar Medina took sixth place at Wednesday’s Monterey Bay League Gabilan division Center Meet in Castroville.
Medina finished the 2-mile course in 12 minutes, 8 seconds to lead the Condors, who placed fifth as team with a score of 119.
Alisal High edged Palma High to win the meet.
• Watsonville 3, NMC 2 - The Watsonville High Wildcatz won three straight sets to edge the North Monterey County High Condors 22-25, 19-25, 25-7, 26-24, 15-8 on Thursday night in Monterey Bay League Pacific division action at home.
Camila Cardenas had 15 kills for Watsonville, which will have its hands full on Tuesday at North Salinas High at 6:30 p.m.
• St. Francis 3, Harbor 2 - The St. Francis High Sharks played tough but could not pull off the upset of the Harbor High Pirates on Thursday night in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action, falling 26-28, 22-25, 25-14, 25-15, 15-11 in Santa Cruz.
St. Francis (14-8, 2-6) hosts Aptos High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Aptos 3, Santa Cruz 1 - The Aptos High Mariners lost the opening set but won the next three to drop Santa Cruz High, 20-25, 25-23, 25-17, 25-4, in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play on Thursday in Aptos.
Aptos (6-7, 6-2) plays at St. Francis High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Aptos 137, Harbor 164 - Megan Eldredge fired a 31 at DeLaveaga Golf Course in Santa Cruz to earn medalist honors and lead the Aptos High Mariners to a Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League win over Harbor High on Thursday.
Amanda Fort (36), Italia Riccabona (34) and Gianna Marinshaw (36) also scored for Aptos, which will try to keep its undefeated season rolling on Tuesday against Santa Cruz High at 4 p.m. at Seascape Golf Club.
• Salinas 7, M.VC. 0 - The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs could not squeeze out a victory against the Salinas High Cowboys on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action.
• St. Francis 7, SLV 0 - The St. Francis High Sharks shutout the San Lorenzo Valley High Cougars on Thursday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action.
Maya Talavera and Ciella Zivanovich won their singles matches in perfect 6-0, 6-0 sweeps.
The doubles team of Avery Croghan and Kayli Galster also won its match in a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
• Aptos 7, Scotts Valley 0 - The Aptos High Mariners improved to 9-0 on the season and 7-0 in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play with a dominant win over Scotts Valley High on Thursday in Aptos.
Mia Totah won 6-0, 6-0 in No. 1 singles.